Scheels Ice Rink
January 1, 2022 - March 31, 2022Free
Scheels Ice Rink is installed on gated Field 4 in Penn Meadows Park, near the park’s north parking lot and Penn Street. Please park in the north lot and access the rink from through the field’s dugout.
The rink will be open to all ages for free public skating from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily during the season (December-March) as long as weather conditions are agreeable. Lights will be on daily from 4 p.m. – 9:30 p.m to provide for safe evening skating.
The rink will be closed if the ice surface does not allow for safe skating. Check the status of the rink (and signup for notifications) using our Rainout Line. At this time, reservations are not available for private parties on the rink.
A variety of skate sizes will be available for the public to borrow at no cost for up to 2 hours at a time. Sizes range from Toddler 9-12, Youth 1-5, and Adult 6-13 in both hockey and figure skates. Skates can be checked out from the North Liberty Recreation Center front desk between 6 a.m. and 7:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, and between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Saturday & Sunday. A credit or debit card is required to check skates out. Skates must be returned within 2 hours of check-out or by closing of the recreation center (9 p.m. on weekdays, 6 p.m. on weekends), whichever comes first. If skates are not returned on time, the card on file will be charged $50 per pair of skates the next businesses day. Must be 16 years or older to check out skates; a maximum of 4 pairs of skates can be borrowed by one person at a time. Sizes are limited and will be loaned out on a first come, first served basis. Skate reservations are not available.
Skate checkout is free.
Penn Meadows will be home to an outdoor rink seasonally for the foreseeable future so many people might prefer to invest in buying skates. Skates are available for purchase at Scheels in Coralville and Play It Again Sports in Iowa City.
We ask for your help to make the Penn Meadows rink an enjoyable experience. For the safety and enjoyment of all skaters, please follow these guidelines.
- Skating is at your own risk.
- All children under 10 years of age must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Helmets are strongly recommended.
- Do not sit or lean on the walls of the rink.
- No digging or chipping at the ice to help us keep as smooth of a surface as possible. The ice will only be able to be resurfaced a few times each season.
- No food or drink on the ice.
- Only clean shoes should be worn if walking on the ice.
- There is no carrying children, racing, or jumping on the rink.
- Music is not provided but welcome if it is of appropriate volume and family-friendly. Headphones are not allowed.
- Pucks are allowed on the ice weekdays from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. for kids and parents, and 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. for adults.
- The City of North Liberty is not responsible for personal property, damages, or injuries.
- The City of North Liberty reserves the right to remove anyone from the ice deemed reckless or possibly harmful to other skaters.
- Be respectful to everyone who comes to enjoy public skating.
Emergency & Feedback Contacts
The rink is not supervised full-time. If needed, please call (319) 626-5716 or the numbers below with questions and concerns.
Police & Fire Emergency: 911
Non-emergency police: (319) 356-6800
Community Center (skate checkout): (319) 626-5716
Parks Department (rink conditions and lighting): (319) 626-5720